Sunday, April 10, 2011

Welcome to the 21st Century & St Martin

I´ve been planning my next `adventure´ and am totally amazed. After returning from Honduras/Roatan where I studied Spanish, climbed a mountain, and learned to dive while staying in an amazing hotel, I visited Beneath The Sea at which a film maker made me an offer I couldn´t refuse and Thursday I´m off to el Caribe. (Whew ¿run-on sentence?)

Even though the deal was too good to be turned down (70% off), there was a minor problem: the trip was two weeks away (during easter week) and airfares were astronomical. What was a retiree to do? Fortunately (and not surprisingly since this is a story with a happy ending), help arrived from an unexpected source: the internet.

(Alright, I know what you´re thinking: why is this unexpected? Where has this guy been, locked away in a dusty basement, fed through a slot in the door, and denied a keyboard? After all, the computer/internet is the first thing stroked in the morning and the last thing poked at night. And yes, you´re right. It shouldn´t have been unexpected but it was.)

At any rate, I looked at flight prices on-line and decided to save money by going early and staying late - thus avoiding the high easter week airfares. Problem: high airfares at required times. Solution: stay a few extra days. Found: on the internet.

This solution did, of course, mean that I needed someplace to stay during those few days, and although I tried the most economical approach, couchsurfing, there was no couch available for this geezer; so it was, once again, back to the internet. Once again the internet did not disappoiont. I whiled away some hours, cavorting with my keyboard; finally, finding and booking rooms in small hotels on Nevis and St. Martin.

Also found places to visit in Nevis, restaurants and a dive operator in St Martin.

So here I am, trip planned. The cost of my bargain liveaboard is about what Eliot Spitzer spent in a weekend but, what the hell, I´m hoping to have at least as much fun as he did; and, I finally understand why the internet is good for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment