Saturday, May 14, 2011

Time Marches On

My second Sea Gypsies meeting has come and gone.  The first of the post-Hello Kitty era.  A Guinness, a meal, a talk, an evening shared around a common interest.  Some might call it religion.  Next week is my first pilgrimage: North Carolina for 5 days among the wrecks.  Poseidon, keep the wrecks below and the divers straight.  Amen.

Ten of us drive to N.C., sleep in a bunkhouse, and jump off a boat.  Is this a second childhood or what?

And, for the first journey of the post-Hello Kitty era, Janet and I have decided on two months in Vietnam.  We will visit Mark and Thuy and their new baby in Hanoi, and tour the land I spent years of my youth avoiding.  This is the upside of Hello's passing.  We miss her, but we are freer.


So I am back to work, planning another trip.  Seems like that's my main occupation.  Hunker down with my trusty old computer and plan away.  Travelling is educational: seeing new things, new ways of getting through life, perhaps learning something; or perhaps not, perhaps just having fun.  Maybe life is like Certs: not just one thing.

And before Vietnam is the summer in Barcelona and my experiment with volunteering to count fish.  A new experience.  I wonder if this means I am dissatisfied.  After all, if I were satisfied wouldn't I want to do what I have been doing and I seem to prefer something a bit different.  Shouldn't I be developing a skill (well, I am: diving) which is useful.  I imagine my next career as a dive instructor and even I smile.  But, aside from age, why not.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment